Recipes, Tales and the Journey of a Vegetarian


Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Search Is Over......

....for a delicious, easy, zucchini bread recipe :-)  I'm happy to say I have found a recipe that lives up to my idea of what these this bread should taste like!




While shopping at the Farmers Market last week, I bought some 'golden' zucchini as well as some green.  Having an overabundance of them (how can you say no to HUGE homegrown zucchini 2 for $1?! Ok. I guess one could.  But not I!) I had to figure out what to do with all of it.  I threw it in every dish I could throughout the week and still had a bunch left over.  Fresh zucchini should be used up within 5 days. You can freeze it by peeling off the skin and shredding the pulp.  Measure out 2 cups of pulp and place in a zipper closure bag. Purge the air out of the bag and seal shut.  However, I didn't feel like freezing it so, I decided to give zucchini bread another shot.  I've tried other recipes in the past only to find them dry, bland and never 'zucchini' tasting.  But this one I tried today is a keeper!! 

Zucchini bread is made with shredded zucchini and a number of other ingredients that provide a sweet flavor and moist texture. I used the Golden Zucchini which has a mild, sweeter taste than the green. There are many variations of zucchini bread and some are savory rather than sweet, due to ingredients such as cheese and chopped onions. Like many other quick breads, zucchini bread is often served as a dessert bread or breakfast item.

I have also found that with many homemade baked breads, they are sooo much better the next day.  Wrap them up (once cooled) in some foil and stick them in a ziplock bag or another airtight container.  The bread will be super moist, soft and delish!!  You can also freeze completely baked loafs by wrapping them in plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil. Label and freeze for up to 3 months.


Golden Zucchini Bread

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or if you don't have this on hand, all-purpose is fine)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 cups grated green or golden zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Sift together flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, baking powder.
  3. Beat eggs. Add and mix well sugar, vanilla, and oil. Add zucchini to egg mixture. Add dry ingredients, mixing well. Stir in nuts if desired. Pour into 2 ungreased loaf pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment